What are the advantages of giving a Gift of Securities?
Gift of Securities must have value of $1,000 or greater, and can have significant benefits:
- It is the most tax-effective way to donate, because it removes the taxation of capital gains.
- You will receive a tax receipt for the market value of your donation
- The tax efficiencies of gifts of publicly traded securities may allow you to give more than you might have thought possible.
- While 2011 tax rules modified the tax benefits on gifts of flow-through shares, these remain an attractive gift alternative. Please seek advice from your financial advisor on donations of flow-through shares.
Donate in three easy steps*
- If you have any questions prior to donating, please call or email our Gift of Securities Coordinator at
- Download the Leadership Giving Gift of Securities Transfer Form (for gifts over $1,000) or the Major Donor Gift of Securities Transfer Form (for gifts over $10,000). Sign and fax or scan it to United Way at 403-410-1873 or
- Once the signed Transfer Form has been received and approved by United Way, you will be given United Way’s account information. You can then instruct your broker to initiate the trade to transfer your securities to United Way.**
Once your gift has transferred successfully, a United Way representative will contact you and issue a charitable tax receipt. As a general rule, the date of the donation shall be the later of the date the appropriate documentation is received or the date that the shares are deposited into United Way’s account. The value of the donation for tax purposes shall be the price ruling at close of business on the date of donation.
*This information is general in nature and does not constitute legal or financial advice. It is not a substitute for professional advice; United Way encourages you to seek professional legal, estate planning and/or financial advice before deciding upon your course of action.
** Some restrictions apply. Download the complete Gift Acceptance Policies for more information.